Through educational events and special initiatives, yBILD—Young BILDers—educates young industry leaders on housing and industry issues while providing them with professional development and career growth opportunities. We create strong industry advocates by investing in them today for strong leaders tomorrow.
yBILD events are designed to help members under 40 gain a deeper understanding of the industry, provide professional development opportunities and build their personal industry network.
Connect with our committee members to help you grow your industry network.
Presented by MNP, this award honours and recognizes a young BILD member who demonstrates exceptional leadership qualities. These individuals motivate and inspire the people around them to exceed expectations, and they are engaged Young BILDers in the association, exemplifying what it takes to be industry leaders.
There is no fee to apply. Nominations open every October.
Do you know a Young BILDer who motivates and inspires the people around them to exceed expectations? Are YOU an engaged Young BILDer in the Association, demonstrating what it takes to be an industry leader? Nominate yourself or a colleague for the annual yBILD Leadership Award. Nominations will open each October.
The nominee must be 40 years of age or younger at the time of nomination. One ﬁnalist from each membership category will be chosen, with the winner selected by our industry leaders from among the ﬁnalists based on survey results and submission criteria.
A BILD member will have demonstrated several of the following examples of exceptional leadership and have met the minimum submission criteria:
• Is a current BILD member in good standing;
• Is under the age of 40 at the time of nomination;
• Is an active attendee of BILD and/or yBILD events and meetings or a yBILD Elite Event Pass Holder;
• Is an active BILD member (attending events, committee meetings, volunteerism);
• Nominator/nominee must provide a list of 10 colleagues with email addresses.
• Individuals must have given permission to participate in a BILD survey. Family members are not eligible to participate.
• Nominator/nominee must submit a letter outlining how the nominee meets the leadership criteria below (300 words or less).
• Motivates others to be involved in industry and association initiatives;
• Motivates and inspires the people around them to exceed expectations, inspiring a high level of commitment from others;
• Creates a compelling vision for the future and helps others understand their role in achieving it, giving team members all of the tools, authority and trust needed to achieve their tasks;
• Actively shares responsibility, authority, information and credit when working towards the achievement of a goal;
• Takes prompt decisive action to resolve issues quickly and effectively.
Being recognized for your hard work and dedication by your peers and fellow industry members is one of the most rewarding feelings! Receiving the 2018 yBILD Leadership Award made that obvious. Being involved with many yBILD and BILD events has allowed me to meet and network with so many industry professionals, learn important career skills, and has even led me to becoming a committee member for yBILD in 2019.
2018 recipient Bradley Hendriks, Montana Steele
Having been a part of the group that started yBILD, then staying on to chair the committee was a fun challenge. Without the help from some really smart and truly generous people, I know full well my career and businesses would not be where they are today. Being recognized with the award from the Association was proof that I was doing my part to give as much as I had received, and it made me feel great to know that I was creating a positive impact for people.
2017 recipient Brendan Charters, Eurodale Developments
To be recognized by my peers, who are themselves all strong leaders in their respective fields, is an unparalleled honour. The formal and informal relationships built as part of my time at yBILD and BILD have facilitated synergies and information-sharing that have improved my own personal understanding of various sub-disciplines of the land development industry.
2016 recipient Catherine Pan, Toronto Community Housing
2015 recipient Katarzyna Sliwa, Dentons LLP
What kind of events does yBILD hold? See some of our past events.
In this networking event at Walrus Pub’s Pong Bar, 100 yBILDers heard from Next Gen leaders on their current projects, how to gain their business, and what they look for when hiring new talent.
More than 200 members and colleagues spiked for charity at this annual volleyball tournament at Woodbine Beach, Toronto.
Pictured right: Reigning 2019 Champions Smash Club Six (SCS Consulting) took home the trophy from the tournament. This was the second win for the team.